Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: pottery ideas UDUs - clay drums

From: Grace LaForge (lagrageo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 17:52:13 PST

The most exciting thing we've done this year is to make percussion
instruments out of clay. We used styrofoam heads in order to make a
round-bottomed bowl and added coils to complete them.
They took about three sessions to work on and don't need to be glazed.
We are watching a video to get a few playing techniques down.
I worked with 8th to 12th graders - they had a blast. Many of my
students have ADHD and it was very engaging.

Some information can be found at:

The video is at:

We had less success with ocarinas (clay whistles) which have to be tuned
somewhat precisely.

What a great combo - making something beautiful out of mud - and it
becomes your very own portable instrument.

E-mail me if you need details. Grace