Re: Risk taking & sandbaggers

---------

From: knitzber (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 09:24:01 PST

Marvin,

I know these students all too well. Part of the problem
that I
have found with a number of students who fit into this niche
is that the fear of failure in completing a project is often
due
to the fact that they believe there is a 'right' or expected
end
result which they don't feel is obtainable for them (for one
reason or another). Much of that mentality, of course, is
fostered by a lot of the rest of their day in other
curriculum
areas where that is too often the mentality of the
environment (it also exists in some art classes as well,
unfortunately).

I find that I have better results with completion of work
when
students are encouraged to pursue alternative solutions to
various projects that ultimately are more meaningful to
them and therefore there is more personal investment /
pride in what is being attempted. Though there may be
more time needed to complete the work (in addition to
exploring those possibilities), at least the desire to stay
focused on the project is evident and, often, the work
finally
is completed and turned in for credit.

I have to say that is these students that also provide me
with the most satisfaction in my teaching as the successes
that they find they are capable of are often life changing
experiences.

Kevan

---