Re: Ordering supplies for next year

---------

From: Ricardo Ramirez (rramirez2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 20:06:38 PST

I start out the year with 1,000 lbs of clay for a middle school 6th-8th grades. I order the low-fire white clay from a local pottery store for approximately $200.00 including shipping. If I need more clay, I usually order more by the second semester of school. You can order of the low-fire and of terracotta clay. Make sure you have an idea of the amount of clay you want to use for your curriculum. We also recycle our clay which gives plenty of clay projects for art club. I have approximately 43 students that meet every other week. As far as glazes, You could set aside $250 to $300 dollars for glazes. ( Keep it simple at the beginning unless you know you want to use special glazes for a unique lesson) I order all my glazes through SAX. You get a good discount from sax. I usually save about $300+ from sax and then turn around and buy more glazes with what I save. If you are at the high school level than you may want more specialty glazes, therefore, look for spending a little more. I always try
 to save at least $500.00 for miscellaneous items you may need throughout the year. I hope this helps.

Ricardo

>>> Lorene@CanvasDancer.com 03/01/04 08:57PM >>>
I'm new and am preparing a budget for next year. This year I inherited what
was left from the last teacher. Are they any quidelines or samples out
there for quantities of basics to buy? For example how much clay should I
order and how much glaze.... Like X pounds per student of clay and X glaze
per pound of clay... That kind of thing?!

Lorene