Re: AEN hs rant -George Szekely

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 18:23:47 PST

ok, a while back i, who did complain about care bears, wrote a long defense of comics, anime, commercial art - i'm sure its in the archives somewhere...so please don't peg me as critical of them. and i did cite scott mccloud several times (he wrote understanding comics, a brilliant book i highly recommend) in my dissertation. what you guys seem to be missing, or maybe what is unimportant to you, but very important to me, is when kids COPY care bears, nemo, spiderman, etc... its the COPYING. yes, this is better than tracing, and no, if kids want to do that on their own for practice or enjoyment or whatever, i'd never knock it. but when i have spent two years with these guys trying to drive home the idea of creating artwork that expresses their unique, personal, individual take on the world, art that involves thinking and stretching and creating, it is very disappointing to get care bears. make your own cartoon bear or any other animal! draw a care bear gone bad! a portrait of
 yourself snuggling with a care bear! just don't turn something in to me as an art project that is an exact likeness of someone else's idea, nothing else, no interpretation, embellishment, nada. and yes, i know lots of great artists learned by copying others work exactly and lots of forgers make lots of money doing that today. but that is not what our art class is about. sigh!

wendy