Re: AEN hs rant -George Szekely

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 16:09:00 PST

I currently have 3 young men in my classes that want to do nothing but these
drawings. One has written a 250 page book detailing the story of his
characters. While I admire their dedication to their cartooning I do want to
push them. I didn't want to spend the entire year watching them design
weapons and characters - they have been doing that for 5 years now. So I
pushed them into creating a comic book - altering their characters to fit
the square (close ups, head shots, full body, figures turning). At first
they kind of balked because they knew it was going to be alot of work, but
these books are really turning into great artworks!
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> Funny that you should put George Szekely in the subject line...in his
video he describes how he and his classmates Alex Katz (renown painter) and
Mark Alan Stamety (political cartoonist, New Yorker cover artist) were sort
of outcasts in art school because they "thought different".They were told
that their art wasn't of sufficient seriousness.

---