Re: AEN hs rant -George Szekely

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 12:10:28 PST

Another link on the whole idea of 'Care Bears are not art'

This is from the bio of Alex Ross (the highest paid Comic Book artist
today)...

"High school can be a chaotic time," he says. "Through my art and through
what these characters represented, I found a sense of order that I wanted to
apply to my life. Itís not that I wasnít interested in dating or
socializing. Itís just that part of me didnít want to let go of the colorful
characters Iíd loved for so long."

What if somebody had told Alex, Super Heroes are NOT art... don't waste your
time??

and if YOU don't think Super Heroes are art go to this link:
http://www.comicbookpros.com/rossjla/
and click on the gallery to see how much his original watercolors go for.

my little quote comes from his Bio. on this link and the video link (though
not very good quality) shows Alex working on one of his artworks.

I guess this is a sensitive subject for me because though I have a love of
animation and comic books, I was told as a child that it was not 'serious'
art. I wonder what would be different now had I had an advocate for my areas
of art interest? Would I still just be watching cartoons and reading comics,
or would I be on the other side??

Some of my other favorite comics (just 'cause I feel like posting them)
http://www.strangersinparadise.com (probably some of the best ART and
WRITING in comics today, imho--I had a chance to meet and talk with Terry
Moore and he was very excited when he found out I was an art teacher... we
had a great conversation)
http://www.libertymeadows.com
http://www.boneville.com

Donald Peters

Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free!