Re: AEN hs rant - a class on cliches

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 10:46:08 PST

Ok.. I know I'm late to the discussion (take 3 days off and you miss
everything!!) but I would like to put my 2 cents in as well.

'i have students drawing corner suns and copying care bears. '

This statement bothered me a little in that I don't feel drawing Care Bears
is anything to be ashamed of. If they were TRACING them, that's one thing,
or drawing without starting with the basic shapes and forms, but just
copying the illustration... but...somebody had to draw those original Care
Bear illustrations-- and they received better pay than we do.

Character artist is a legitamate art field that takes a lot of training and
dedication, and only the best of the best get hired. (In 1991 a Disney
character artist--not animator, but an artisit who did drawings for print
ads--received $50 an hour)

just food for thought...

Donald Peters