Re: classroom organization

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 16:47:43 PST

> IDEAS FOR ORGANIZING THE ART ROOM
>

> *ziplock bags...they are my saviors. i have to move from room to
room
> a lot, and other teachers borrow my supplies, too. i put all the glue
> sticks in one bag, all the mask molds in another, etc. then when i need
> move, i grap the bag, all closed up so nothing spills out, easy to carry.
> when i get a new box of crayons, they all go in a ziplock bag. who needs
> broken box? and its cheaper than plastic boxes. submitted by amy in kc

I keep the items we use most every day in caddies on the table. The students
must organize them a certain way so that I can check the contents at a
glance. We keep glue, scissors, crayons (loose in one side), pencils,
erasers and a pencil sharpener. I also have the tables labeled, each seat
has a corresponding letter/color so I can get helpers quickly, like, "All
the orange a's wipe your table, green b's bring me the water. . ." etc. I
have a special shelf for finished work to be piled. Most common materials
like markers, oil pastels, pastels, colored pencils are in cups or bins
(enough for each table) that are in student accessible bins on the counter
so students know where to get them and put them back when finished. I'm
still working on clutter because there are usually many projects happening
at once, so I look forward to more suggestions? Elementary teachers, how do
you handle all your examples and notes when quickly switching from one grade
level lesson to another?

Leah

---