Re: 3-D elective

---------

From: martha dodge (4boys_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 11:40:57 PST

I'm not a 3-d person either, but I will never forget a project from my
college 3-d class.
Actually this project has been done with cub scouts and science classes as
well as art classes. The objective is to construct a 3-d container that will
protect a raw egg from breaking when the container is dropped from a height.
Did this with cub scouts. They loved it but too many eggs made it because we
only dropped them from a step ladder.
In college we dropped them off a second story balcony and yes some of the
eggs made it.
There is a science lesson here, but you could just focus on the visual
aspects. Is the form important to the egg not breaking or is form a
decorative aspect. Maybe the containers need to resemble animals? Speaking
of animals, paper mache pinatas are fun to make.

Also have made Louise Nevelson scultptures from cardboard boxes and pieces.
Martha

---