Re: clay ideas

---------

From: Michael Delaney (edelaney_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 18:44:44 PST

We just finished making bird houses in the slab method. The first slab consturction, eveyone had to make apentagon shapeped covered box. We used tar paper for the patterns. The stiff tar paper then was used as a pattern and they were able to construct the slabs with the strength of the tar paper holding up the sides. They were to create a lid and they had to problem solve to do this. We are now finishing up the boird houses and some have curved sides. They again used tar paper to give the strength to the sides. We are now investigating decoration techniques and just finished stencil and now are into slip in-lay. They are to use the same drawing over again but to use a different decoration method.
I thought about the artist birthday idea that was suggested here. That might make a nice project. An artist mug or artist container with decorations that come from the artist's paintings, sculptures or whatever.

We sometimes make fountains this time of year.

---