Re: Archaeology

---------

From: David Meadows (dmeadows_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 05:56:10 PST

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 08:25:52 -0500, Christine Besack wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Here is an interesting link to Archeology Newstrove  Articles from
>newspapers around the world relating to archeology.nice current
>events tie in to the Arts.
>

>"All the current Archaeology news"
>
>http://archaeology.newstrove.com/
>
>Hope this helps,
>Christine Besack :)

Even better is my (free) weekly Explorator newsletter ... now heading into it's sixth year; here's today's issue:

explorator 5.48 March 30, 2003
Editor's note: Depending on your mail software, some urls may
wrap (especially those from the Telegraph) which will require
you to rebuild the url at your end; if you get a 'file not
found', check to see if the url wrapped on you. Most urls should
be active for at least eight hours from the time of publication.

For your computer's protection, Explorator is sent in plain text
and NEVER has attachments. Be suspicious of any Explorator which
arrives otherwise!!!

Thanks to Arthur Shippee, Bill Kennedy, Leanne Archer, John McChesney-
Young, Donna Hurst, Mark Elliott, Maurice O'Sullivan, Cronman
mac Nessa, Hernan Astudillo, Mike Ruggeri, Kate Gilbert, John McMahon,
W. Richard Frahm, Dave Sowdon, Karl Wittwer, and Shiela Winchester
for headses upses this week (a.a.h.i.h.l.n.o.o.)

Editor's mea culpa: in Explorator 5.47 I mentioned that someone
had translated the script of 'Gladiator' into Latin; unfortunately,
I managed to mangle their name. The name should have been
Gabriele Albarosa, to whom I apologize most profusely!

** there appears to be a major hub down or something this a.m. and
I can't connect to roughly half of the sources I usually connect to;
there's still enough here to keep you occupied for a while though 8^)
AFRICA, EUROPE, AND ASIA
First it was 350,000 b.p. footprints in Italy, now it is a
350,000 b.p. burial in Spain which suggests (perhaps) capacity for
symbolic thought:

.. and Neanderthals, apparently, weren't as ham-fisted as previously
thought either:

http://www.nature.com/nsu/030324/030324-6.html
http://www.msnbc.com/news/890948.asp

The fungus which threatened the paintings at Lascaux has been
brought under control:

Nine swords dating back to ca. 3300 B.C./B.C.E. were recently found
in Turkey:

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20030324/sword.html

A brief item on the discovery of a 5000 B.P. mummy:

http://www.uk.sis.gov.eg/online/html8/o250323b.htm

Egypt is now laying claim to be the source for Mother's Day:

http://www.uk.sis.gov.eg/online/html8/o270323l.htm

The Shrine of the Book will shortly undergo renovations (scroll down):

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/28/arts/28INSI.html

Archaeologists in Iraq are trying to protect various archaeological
sites and objects:

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=391140

More on the threat (is it my imagination or is this sort of thing getting
a *lot* more attention than it might have, say, in the world prior to
the Bamiyan Buddhas):

http://www2.h-net.msu.edu/~museum/iraq.html
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/28/1048653856958.html
http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/worldwide/story/0,9959,920931,00.html
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/magazine/daily/5466406.htm
http://www.rferl.org/nca/features/2003/03/28032003180912.asp
http://www.registerbee.com/MGBF8F1HMDD.html
http://news.statesmanjournal.com/article.cfm?i=59009
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_30-3-2003_pg3_8

.. and we're thankfully reading of efforts to avoid damage:

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20030327-262307.htm

.. but we're starting (alas) to hear of the damage:

http://www.alertnet.org/printable.htm?URL=/thenews/newsdesk/L23126774.htm

We're also starting to get pieces like this in regards to archaeological
sites in Iraq:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110003253

.. and the AIA has issued an "Open Declaration":

http://www.archaeological.org/webinfo.php?page=10210

[meanwhile, Britain's cultural heritage seems to be at even greater
risk ... cf. http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,924470,00.html ]

Work has begun to fix that bulge in the Temple Mount wall:

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=276833

Followup: the Museum of London has a nice feature on that Roman slave girl
receipt find:

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/MOLsite/menu.htm

A 'basic' look at Hadrian's Wall:

http://www.inside-scotland.co.uk/ayrshire/herald/NEWS/rotary%20%20djksh2803.html.html

Here's the latest in the Parthenon/Elgin Marbles saga:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/18/1047749772862.html
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=6550&Cr=culture&Cr1 (the UN is offering to help!)

The oldest written fragment of the Nibelungen tale has been found
in an Austrian monastery:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=585&e=5&cid=585&u=/nm/20030328/sc_nm/arts_nibelungen_dc
http://derstandard.at/?id=1254874 (in German; small pic included)

The latest on the Ayodhya dig:

http://www.etaiwannews.com/World/2003/03/27/1048728358.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/2881073.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/2848393.stm

The Maori Rock Art project is nearing completion:

A nice piece on the perils (sort of) of restoring temples at Angkor
Wat:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/30/arts/design/30TURN.html
THE AMERICAS
La Tercera has a piece (in Spanish) on some 5000 b.p. musical
instruments found at Caral (La Tercera now requires registration):

http://www.tercera.cl/lt/Articulo/0,4293,3255_5726_25908378,00.html

A couple of hungry pooches in Chile dug up a 2500 B.P. mummy:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_764118.html

The Field Museum of Natural History is going to return a large
quantity of bones to the Haida people:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/891070.asp

The Clovis people are apparently off the hook for hunting big game
to extinction:

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?id=1&display=rednews/2003/03/29/build/local/50-clovis.inc

A skeleton found at Jamestown and touted as the first murder of an
Englishman in the Americas may actually have been the victim of
'friendly fire':

http://www.vagazette.com/news/va-news3_032603mar26,0,2755621.story?coll=va-news

An 'Artifacts Roadshow' is going around Indiana:

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2003/03/30/news/porter_county/0c77ed4d28dfc9e786256cf9000087e1.txt
ALSO OF INTEREST
We haven't had a facial reconstruction in a while, so here's the
latest: a Roman soldier who fell down a well (a.k.a. Trimontium
Man):

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=371732003

A pile of "doodles" done by Michelangelo while he was hiding from the
wrath of the Medicis are being restored:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,925016,00.html

Here's what the spear which killed Captain Cook reached at auction:

http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=365412003

A feature on what's in Cornell University's Rare and Manuscript
Collections in the Kroch Library:

http://cornelldailysun.com/articles/8187/

A piece on Chinese furniture:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/28/arts/design/28ANTI.html

The World Dracula Congress will meet in Romania, despite fears
arising from the current conflict:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=573&ncid=757&e=1&u=/nm/20030328/od_nm/odd_romania_dracula_dc

.. also on the Dracula front:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/story.jsp?story=389541

Assorted structures in Britain are seeking funding for restoration:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/story.jsp?story=388844

.. while the Hugin Viking Ship's request has been approved:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2859565.stm
ON THE WEB
Mark Elliott, "Biblical Archaeology and Its Interpretation: The
Sayce-Driver Controversy":

http://www.bibleinterp.com/articles/The_Sayce_Driver_Controversy.htm
ONLINE JOURNALS
[I'm playing with some web monitoring software which might make
a regular section like this a possibility]

American Journal of Archaeology 107.1 (January 2003)

http://www.ajaonline.org/issues/i_toc.html
BOOK REVIEWS
Michael Sedge, *The Lost Ships of Pisa*:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2003/3/prweb61080.php

François Bizot, *The Gate* (archaeology etc. under Pol Pot):

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/27/books/27BIZO.html

Christopher Logue, *All Day Permanent Red: War Music Continued*
(Iliadish):

http://arts.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2003/03/16/bolog16.xml
EXHIBITIONS
Asia Week (various New York sites):

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/28/arts/design/28COTT.html

Folks might be interested in the American School of Classical
Studies at Athens list of museum closures (seen on Aegeanet):

http://www.ascsa.edu.gr/news/museum.htm

Dancing Satyr (Rome):

http://www.agenziaitalia.it/english/news.pl?doc=200303261900-0262-RT1-POL-0-NF82&page=0&id=agionline-eng.italyonline
CLASSICIST'S CORNER
Classics students look at the Iliad in light of the current conflict:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/03/29/1048653902265.html

.. and actually, it appears there is much interest in the Iliad
of late, and it's providing plenty of ClassCon in various contexts:

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/entertainment/5517715.htm
http://www.daily-journal.com/content/?id=24173
http://www.troyrecord.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=7513128&BRD=1170&PAG=461&dept_id=32272&rfi=6
http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Category=14&ID=90828&r=1

ClassCon in a piece on the rules of war:

http://www.post-gazette.com/World/20030330allsfair0330p3.asp

Looks like we've got to do a bunch more outreach:

http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/ireland/Full_Story/did-sgLvGYpEELcpEsgDQQ5wn3uAIg.asp

.. while NeoClassical seems to be still 'in':

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=31158&section=HOME_GARDEN&subsection=HOME_GARDEN&year=2003&month=3&day=23

Folks interested in Antigone-inspired drama might look into
The Island:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/30/arts/theater/30JENK.html

Classics professors who wonder about their rate of pay might want
to read the following:

http://www.press-citizen.com/news/032903salaries.htm

More on the geographic accuracy of the Iliad (speaking of
the Iliad, check out the obituaries):

http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/local/2003/03/24udprofessormaps.html
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/32403_illiad.html

There's a new Latin Rite community in Wisconsin:

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2003/03/24/news/z1tonsured.txt

A few issues back we mentioned that some forensic pathologists were
'reopening the case file' on Julius Caesar's murder ... the
documentary aired and here's a good account:

http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/03/24/wcaes24.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/03/24/ixworld.html

cf. this review:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,925052,00.html

Akropolis News in Classical Greek:
http://www.akwn.net/

Radio Finland's Nuntii Latini
http://www.yle.fi/fbc/latini/trans.html

Radio Bremen's Der Monatsrückblick - auf Latein
http://www.radiobremen.de/online/latein/

U.S. Weather in Latin:
http://latin.wunderground.com/

OBITUARIES
Martha Hadzi (Art Historian):

http://www.gazettenet.com/03182003/obituari/4337.htm

G.S. Kirk (Classicist):

REPEATS
Jehoash Inscription:

http://www.naplesnews.com/03/03/neapolitan/ajhfjg.htm
EXPLORATOR is a weekly newsletter representing the fruits of
the labours of 'media research division' of The Atrium. Various
on-line news and magazine sources are scoured for news of the
ancient world (broadly construed: practically anything relating
to archaeology or history prior to about 1700 or so is fair
game) and every Sunday they are delivered to your mailbox free of
charge!

To send a 'heads up' to the editor or contact him for other
reasons:
mailto:dmeadows@idirect.com

Explorator is Copyright (c) 2003 David Meadows. Feel free to
distribute these listings via email to your pals, students,
teachers, etc., but please include this copyright notice. These
links are not to be posted to any website by any means (whether
by direct posting or snagging from a usenet group or some other
email source) without my express written permission. I think it
is only right that I be made aware of public fora which are
making use of content gathered in Explorator. Thanks!

--
David Meadows, dmeadows@idirect.com on 03/30/2003
---