Re: scissors and safety

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 13:54:48 PST

jw wrote:

> I'm embarrassed to admit how naive I've been (private school, highschool
> art) -- but I'll just go ahead and ask you all: What safety precautions
> do you take with scissors in art studio classes for juniors and
> seniors?

Precautions with scissors? For juniors and seniors? I've never even
considered it. As a general rule, I tell all the students "This is a
tool, not a toy. Abuse or misuse it, and you'll never see it again."

> I attended an in-service regarding teacher liability and
> student violence, and now I can't sleep. While I'm in my Edvard Munch
> mode, I may as well ask what kind of liability insurance you have?

Wow, I think I'm the one who's probably naive. I don't think a teacher
here has ever gotten sued (they would have to file suit off the
reservation, at the county seat 80 miles away). Not even when a student
in my class with Down's Syndrome walloped another student with her book
bag and knocked her out cold. The victim had a hairline fracture of the
skull. She was back in school just a few days later. Not a peep from
the parents.

My liability insurance--okay, so I'm not too naive--is through an NAEA
affiliate. It's $75 a year and I think covers a million dollars.

Maggie

---