PAINTING and subs...plus pre-planning

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 09:00:32 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: Ann Heineman <aiheineman@prodigy.net>
> One comment about the original post from Yolanda. Her current problem
> started when a substitute was unable to control the paint process. I think
> Yolanda would like to hear your ideas about classroom paint management when
> you are NOT there for an extended period. We all know what happens when the
> cat is away. Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
*****************************

First of all...if you're away for an extended period of time, DO know that a
"paint experience" is not absolutely necessary to having a good art program.
Take this from one who taught art in a small portable for a year while our
artroom was modernized and no water source nearby. We did just fine without
it and we had more than enough to do.

Secondly...even if I had an EXCELLENT sub, I would not ever give her/him
control of a painting exercise with students they did not know extremely
well. Vigilant awareness while kids are painting/cleaning is hard with one
hand tied behind your back (ie. not knowing the individual kids). Come
on...would any of you seriously paint with your kids the first day of school
before you KNEW them? (Grin)..Well...maybe one or two of you would but I
wouldn't!

Third...they can paint when you return..duh.

Fourth...pre-plan for when you aren't there...even if it's an emergency. The
first day of a new rotation I go over policy, introduce the "classroom", and
demo first lesson of nametags for our cubbies. Second day is a demo on how
to go to the extra credit box, pick out an extra credit sheet, and are shown
examples of how much work an extra credit takes to receive "extra credit"
(which is 2-days worth of work). For early finishers they can return to
their extra credit. But...the beauty of this is when I'm gone from class.
They are "trained" to go into "extra credit mode" immediately without being
told when an emergency arises. This also eliminates those annoying sleeve
tugs of.."I'm finished. What do I do now?"

I KNOW when I go to NAEA next week for 3 classroom days that the kids will
be finishing up their pre-planned project with the sub, keep the finished
project in their cubbies until I return, and then immediately turn to their
extra credit.

What do I use for extra credit ideas? Jay Conley's ADVENTURES IN ART. Lots
of "how to draw" ideas. I run off 10 copies of each of my favorites and put
them in two soda boxes at the back of the room. Perfect! Toodles.....Bunki

---