Re: George Segal hand sculptures Help

---------

From: Patty Phillips (plphillips_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 08:43:58 PST

Funny you should mention this project....I completed this very project with
my art 200 and 300 students. We have 55 minute classes so working as
partners they plaster one half of the hand one day, slipped the dry half on
the next day and plaster-crafted the other side of the hand leaving a small
gap between the two halves. Then they plastered the two halves together.
We poured plaster bases and inserted the hands when the plaster set up just
a little.

My students were to paint and embellish their hands to express their
personality. They turned out great. One student, a very sweet and quiet
girl, painted her hand pinks and pale blues and lavenders with a butterfly
design on the back of the hand. She then glued a small plastic butterfly to
a finger and added a butterfly bracelet to the wrist. It looked just like
her!!

Her piece was on display in the office when an employee from the district
office came in and offered to buy it. All the kids thought that was pretty
cool.

Patty

---