Re: Listening

---------

From: Terry Mead (renmead_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 08:26:59 PST

I teach 6-8, and the 6th graders love, love, love, Lemony Snicket (any
in the series-the last couple in the series are narrated by Tim Curry
), Holes (very, very popular), and my current favorite: A Single Shard
(wonderful tie-in to Ceramics-an 11th century apprentice to a potter in
Korea). My 8th graders are more interested in social conversations but
one semester they really got wrapped into a book called Canyons. I also
have a book (can't recall the name) that is a diary of a young boy as
he goes to battle in the Civil War. It is narrated by George Wendt. I
try to pick books for the older kids that also tie into their Social
Studies classes. The school librarian knows what books and authors are
popular with the kids, any that are also on tape are sure winners.
Since this is California and everything seems to be on the chopping
block, I emphasize to everyone in hearing distance that this is also
another avenue to training and helping them increase and develop their
listening skills.

Lois Reynolds-Mead
Joaquin Moraga Intermediate School
Moraga, Ca.