art advocacy

---------

Renee.Berg_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 10:16:57 PST

Some of you have seen my posts on my struggle to keep our art programs in tact. Due to the NCLB, our Superintendent feels he needs to cut back time spent on fine arts, and add more reading and math. Our reading teacher has been doing some research that shows more is not always better, in fact one of the schools in our state that has the highest reading scores spends the least time on reading. They are however an ABC school that integrates the arts into the core classes, K-6 grade, interesting observation. For anyone looking for research that backs the Arts, The incredible Art Department has a page. I bought the two following books, " The Arts and the Creation of Mind" by Elliot Eisner and "Art Matters" by Eileen S. Prince. Great books. Has Eisner spoken at any NAEA Conventions? I discussed some of Eisners comments from the book and copied off research for our board to read on the contribution of the Arts. We have gotten community members involved in rallying for the arts. Our board votes on cuts in 2 weeks, however we have an election before the vote. I will let you know, how the art crumbles or not. Thanks to all who have e-mailed me and helped with research.
Renee

Renee Berg
6th,7th Art and 8th grade Art Tech
Mitchell Public Schools