interview come back

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 18:37:47 PST

My best interview question ( and this was 20 years ago)

After just a few questions about discipline and classroom management....
the principal took from his desk drawer a water pipe and put it in my face
"Do you know what this is ?" he barked
I hesitated and thought if I say yes he will wonder why? and if I say no he
will wonder why not?

I said yes and he said "how come you know what this is?"

I'm so stupid. I said because I was a hippie (guess who didn't get that
job?)

The interview situation is so funny. Sometimes the interviewer wants to
trick you. But for the most part the interviewer is sincere and I think
wants everyone he/she interviews to be the successful candidate. I interview
now, and I try my best to make the interviewee comfortable. I try to always
remember the other side and I try to bring the humor and I try to not ask
the stupid questions.
We can joke about answers we'd like to make, but understand there are a lot
of people out there in conditions where the interview is a make or break
situation, and Jane's advice about being serious and professional is very
sound.
For those of you on this list looking and interviewing, take our sarcasm in
the lighted hearted intention that those that have been through it mean.
But remember you are interviewing too. You need to evaluate the
interviewer, because this will be your "boss' And if you are suspicious in
the interview then it's probably not the right place for you.

San D. I have often wondered the same
> "Do you have a portfolio of your own work"
> Do you ask the English candidate to show you their poetry or latest
> piece of fiction, or the science candidate to show you their latest
> advancements in science?
or do you ask the phys ed candidate to dunk the basketball?
I think it's something we have put upon ourselves. After all , we invented
the portfolio and now everyone else uses it and if I was an English
supervisor I would want to see a writing sample and I think (I hope) this
kind of evidence is being asked for. .

It's almost Spring and job openings are beginning to be looked at to be
filled. For those out ther looking, I wish the best luck.
Patty

---