Re: PAINT PANGS

---------

From: Jeannie Hess (jean1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 18:44:57 PST

This will sound tough, but it really has been the best thing I ever did to
solve behavior problems. I teach K thru 5. At the beginning of the year I
explain that use of art materials is a privilege, that I am a nut about
proper use of scissors, etc. , that if I see misuse, I will take the
material away, and that I will also stop the offender from doing the project
which I will take, keep and give a grade of zero (in the higher grades).

Before a lesson with paint for instance, I teach skills, but I remind them
that I will stop them from working if they deliberately mess things up
(paint on their hands on purpose, on someone else's paper or body, etc.)
Kids are very accepting of clear limits. Yes, there are those who break the
rules, but it only happens once. Never twice. They know I don't fret over
accidents, jars dropped on the floor spilling paint or getting a little
paint on the table in the process of painting. That's expected in an art
room. I help them clean up and teach them how to clean up as we work
together.

This has stopped all those other behaviors too! Kids try to behave like
artists, try to be serious about their work. Serious and capable about
cleanup too! Of course,I have elem., you teach in middle school, you saint,
so I don't know.... Jeannie in PA
>From: "Y.R. Brown" <imaniyo@hotmail.com>

> I am having great concern around the misuse of acrylic paint in my middle
> school art class, notably the 8th grade students.

---