remember to ask the model if they have to "go"

---------

From: Jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 21:15:12 PST

Laugh for the day (we need it!) Today I was doing one of my favorite
lessons with first graders where I introduce portraiture. We look at two
portraits by Pablo Picasso, compare and contrast etc... Then I choose a
model to stand on a table in the front of the room while I draw her/him and
we talk about what shapes we see, lines, colors etc.. Then the kids draw and
I'm constantly saying, "draw what you see" Right at the end of this session
with the little model, she looks down at her feet where a large puddle is
forming and says, "whoops!" I thought I would die!! Luckily the guidance
counselor was in the room observing another child and she hustled the little
girl off the table and out of the room. The class just sort of sat there
looking and one little guy asked , "should we draw the puddle, Mrs. H?"
Almost as funny was the janitor's face when she came into to clean up the
"spill" and I directed her to the table!
             Jeryl in SC

---