PAINT PANGS

---------

From: Y.R. Brown (imaniyo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 17:26:00 PST

Hello Listmembers,

I am having great concern around the misuse of acrylic paint in my middle
school art class, notably the 8th grade students. We have been using
acrylic paint with two projects and I find that each week I am reviewing
the distribution, mixing procedure and cleanup procedure with the students.
The students are not heeding my instruction, admonishments about misue or
the notices that we will not use the medium if the misue continues. Today I
gave a written notice that at the conclusion of the current lesson (wire
hose sculptures) that the use of acrylic paint ends.

It's a shame because my next two lessons would utilize acyrlic paint. The
lessons are a group stool sculpture project and an assemblage project (
students would study the works of Sam Gilliam, Frank Stella, and Louise
Nevelson). I am bummed out about this. I think I reached a point of
saturation today when I had to spend my planning period cleaning the floor,
cabinets, palettes, etc.

The school I work in is suburban and the amount of waste and lack of
ownership and care for the materials and the space is down right offensive.
Presumed privilige and entitlement is as deadly as ignorance.

PLEASE ADVISE!

YRB