Re: interviews...snappy come backs

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 06:46:05 PST

It would be cool if there were a book on snappy comebacks. You know, we
all think of them an hour later as we are driving off. Often, I'm
pretty good at the spur of the moment, (just ask my wife and colleagues),

At any rate...about 20 years ago I had an interview in northern
Wisconsin, driving near 2-1/2 hours to get there. It was obvious to me
later driving home that they had already selected a candidate. My head
was in a cloud over it until I figured that out. I wished the obvious
had hit me during the interview question...(that's right, I said
"question") because I might have had a better response.

The administrator leaned across his desk after sitting quiet for about
five minutes studying me with his arms pressed against his chest,
leaning back, and hands rubbing his chin. He pointed his finger at me,
rested his elbow on the top of the desk and said, "you know...within
about ten minutes after school is out at the end of the day, I can be on
a lake in nearly any direction from here fishing. What do you think
about that?"

Imagine...I had expected to meet a school board, had a gazillion things
going thru my head of what might be asked, what might my response be, if
I had my portfolio in good order and so on. I had waited nervously
outside the office for nearly a half-hour. Then, this is my interview
question!

I thought later, I should have said..."why, that's very cool. I think
its important in that case that I'm here, available to pick up any
slack, urgent issues, or pressing needs to assure that nothing might
thwart your efforts to get out on those lakes!"

good grief!!!!! hahahaha....

Larry S.
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

---