Re: listening

---------

From: Amy (ashapley_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 22:01:46 PST

on 3/26/03 10:18 PM, lindwood@webtv.net at lindwood@webtv.net wrote:

> which books on tape have you listened to that they really enjoyed? How
> old are your students? My kids LOVE it when I read to them while
> they're working, but books on tape would be easier than reading. I have
> to stop every now and then to walk around and see how everyone is doing.
> I reserve the reading days for when kids really know what they are doing
> and just need the time to do it. It DOES focus them so much.
>
> Linda
>

> ---

i teach pre-K through 8. the kinders and the 8th graders show very little
interest in the books on tape, but the primary grades (1-3) love ramona
quimby and other books by beverly cleary. i also play classic tales, like
thumbelina, hansel and gretel, etc. i play fables and roald dahl stories.

the intermediates also like the beverly cleary stuff. i play the goosebumps
books for them and harry potter. they also like the roald dahl and i had
great success with alice in wonderland.

the older kids...5-7 love the narnia books, wrinkle in time, things like
that. i play anne of green gables and huck finn, too, but only after they
have read them in lit class.

this all started for me after i found that reading aloud took up too much of
my time. i loved it and they loved it, but i couldn't get anything done or
answer questions at all if i was reading. this was the perfect solution,
and my local children's librarian has been a great help in selecting books.
i get them ALL from the kansas city public library.

--
Amy....an art teacher in Kansas City
---