using the Smartboard in an elementary class

---------

From: Geoffrey McClain (skygeoff_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 03:01:37 PST

Yesterday I used the Smartboard with three fifth grade classes. I to was the first time I used it in my classroom. The Smartboard is an interactive white board that hooks up to a laptop and a projector. The children were drawing dragons using oil pastels on black paper. I had begun this lesson the previous week. I used the Smartboard to show them some dragon drawings that I found on Google images. Because the board is so large (say - 4' x 5') the images were very dramatic. I pointed out shading, coloring, and drawing techniques that they might want to incorporate into their drawings. Then I left the internet and switched to Smartboard tools. While the other children were drawing at their seats, I had different children come up and draw parts of a dragon on the Smartboard. They loved doing this and drew elaborate dragons. I then printed out the pictures they drew. I copied them on the Xerox machine so the whole class could have a copy and color them if they wished.
If any of you have an opportunity to try the Smartboard in your classroom, I would recommend it.

Sky in NJ

---