art school

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 19:49:19 PST

Joe,

I vote in favor of the BFA. Most art schools offer a 5 year program with 4
years of studio classes and fifth year to gain certification. I personally
think you learn a lot more about learning and breaking down a skill in a
studio class than an education methods class. My training to be an artist
is the basis of my teaching philosophy, much more than any education class
I've ever had.

Whatever you decide to do, I think right now is a very exciting time to be
studying art education. We are at a crossroad as to what to teach, with the
arguments between the philosophy of the past 25 years and the VCAE
advocates. There is much thinking and rethinking to be done in art ed and
serious consideration for what paths we will follow. Although my love for
the traditional arts will always drive me, technology is changing our
curriculums and we can't ignore that issues of visual and media literacy may
be taken over by other disciplines. We must acknowledge and and embrace our
role as visual interpreters and maybe let go of some traditions. Find a
program that is really looking to the future, a program that explores
methods of meeting student needs, concerns and interests. Your generation of
art educators will have to deal with many changes and I am looking forward
to your generation bringing all that is new to the next generation.

Good luck to you. I'm happy to have your voice on this list. we need to know
what is happening at the university level. And get the ART you can get
the teacher stuff, any time, anywhere.

Patty

---