Re: wire/hose sculpture paint?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 19:57:31 PST

Mike, I doubt latex paint would mix to get nice secondary colors - it is almost impossible to get a decent purple out of school brand paint as it is (although Sax True Color tempera is nice, as is Crayola's new tempera). I buy large 1/2 gallon jugs of a few colors. One thing I have discovered is that they need to gesso first - a cheaper alternative and one I did at home was to replace gesso with white latex wall paint. If you find a good brand of latex that mixes well please share the exact paint # and brand. It would sure be nice for those large sculptures and murals! :-)
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids
  Hello,
  I'd like to run an idea I have about painting the wire/hose sculptures. I like using acrylic on these sculptures as oppose to tempera because the tempera cracks too much. I used acrylic a couple of times but I'm going through it too fast.
        I would like to use cheap flat interior latex paint like Sharon Kennedy has used, but my question is this: If I buy the primary colors from a home store will it mix well to get secondary and tertiary colors. To make my life easier and to teach the kids about color mixing I would like to stick to just the primaries. I think it's also easier to pour latex than the thick acrylic from the bottles. I hate those pumps too. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

---