Re: art school

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 12:47:14 PST

Joe, I got a liberal arts BA with an art major, history minor, then an MFA in
printmaking (it was 2 years for an MA and an additional year for an MFA). I am
doing alternate certification, which required one educational psychology course and
one art methods course, and the subject area testing. I had three years after hire
to complete that, so this summer my K-12 art cert. will look like anybody else's. I
am glad I went this route because I have a full mastery of my materials and an
extensive art history grounding, and my students are interested in the gallery
issues that I deal with as an exhibiting artist.
I know there are great art teachers without studio degrees, but when I looked at
art ed programs I knew it wasn't right for me as an individual. You just have to do
what is right for you.

---