Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: art school


From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 11:40:11 PST

If your university has an Art Ed program, then there will be folks in that department who can answer these questions and help you plan an appropriate program. If not, then contact the education certification authority in your state, since requirements vary from state to state.
That said, I'll tell you that in my state (CT), and probably most states, a Masters is required and must be completed within a few years of beginning your teaching.
I'd love to get an MFA, but an MFA takes twice the credits as a MS in Art Education does. I BFA and BS in Art Education programs have similar time contrasts? At the University, time is money. I'm out of time, so to speak.
You can also consider it this way....if you're sure you want to be an artist, but just might want to also teach, then go for the BFA. However, If you're sure you'll teach, then go for the BS in Art Ed.
Good luck, and keep in touch.
Peace, Mark wrote:Hi,

I want to be a high school art teacher. The university i'm at has a
bachelor's degree program in fine arts and art education, should i go for the
art education BA or the fine arts BA? what should I get my master's in? do i
even need it? other thoughts about going into art education are helpful too,
thank you for you time.


Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your desktop!