Re: Music in the Artroom

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 05:12:05 PST

In past years I had allowed students to occasionally bring in their own
CD's - but quickly discovered that they would want to skip songs, replay
songs, change CD's, and so on. Drove me crazy because they were so
distracted. This year I enforce a new rule - no words. They may bring in any
music they want, so long as it contains no words (and not just the bad
ones). Of course none of them have any. So we listen to mine, and the
freshmen are the ones that fight it, but upper levels come to have their
favorites. Occasionally a student will ask where I purchased a certain CD
because they want to purchase it for themselves. It is calming for them.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> Marcia, I don't know if it's true, but I find that the kids focus more on
the art when there's no words to hear. I did try one gregorian chant, tho,
and that got some snickers but then they got down to business. John
Williams is always good, and includes StarWars, Harry Potter, etc. My
students like to recognize the music, but I wonder if they do better when
they don't know the music from outside my classroom. Aaron Copeland is a
great American composer whose works are wonderful. I also use the
soundtrack from 'Avalon' by Randy Newman. One sort of new age but classical
CD I like to play is the 2nd cd by Libera, a classically trained English
boys choir. My students always ask about the boys. I guess they're kinda
amazed that such beautiful music could come from boys their own age.

---