RE: Music in the Artroom

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 05:01:18 PST

Marcia, I don't know if it's true, but I find that the kids focus more on the art when there's no words to hear. I did try one gregorian chant, tho, and that got some snickers but then they got down to business. John Williams is always good, and includes StarWars, Harry Potter, etc. My students like to recognize the music, but I wonder if they do better when they don't know the music from outside my classroom. Aaron Copeland is a great American composer whose works are wonderful. I also use the soundtrack from 'Avalon' by Randy Newman. One sort of new age but classical CD I like to play is the 2nd cd by Libera, a classically trained English boys choir. My students always ask about the boys. I guess they're kinda amazed that such beautiful music could come from boys their own age.
The thing I notice most is that the pace of the classroom moves to meet the pace of the music.
  Just recently picked up a Steve Halpern and an Andres Vollenweider on suggestion of this fine group of art teachers!
Jan

PS I've had pretty good luck with www.half.com !