Re: Bubble prints

---------

From: dkj (jouets_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 19:44:08 PST

I had good results doing bubble prints with first grades last year with
a "moonscape". I also used tempera, dishsoap, and straws ~ in order to
get deeper colors we had to use small bowls (fill halfway so that the
bubbles will not be big and thin when blown over the top of the bowl -
bigger bubbles will have less paint; also will take less effort on the part
of little lungs).
So... we used plastic cereal-type bowls (set on a plastic plate to catch
the overflow), and for the moons we used cardboard pizza rounds.
Cardboard or stiffer paper may be easier to handle. Students were
cautioned not to blow the bubbles too high over the top of the bowl
(or colors would be paler and the bubbles would overflow), and not
to press the paper down to the rim of the bowl (which results in
distinct "circles" from the paint on the rim). To cover the whole
round they would just print in a different spot until the whole paper was
covered.
Best trick for avoiding the soapy suck, before handing out straws, use
a small hole punch to make a hole about three-fourths of the way up
the straw; then they can blow bubbles, but have a hard time sucking soap!
Hope that helps some...
Deb

> I tried doing the bubble prints using a tall container, tempera paint,
soap
> and straws. It didn't work. The little I could get on the paper was very
> pale.

---