Altered Books Lesson

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 19:40:50 PST

I just wanted to share my success today. I began by giving a history of altered books, leading in to what the assignment was going to entail (the no-no's like drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, gang stuff, knives, guns, nudity - typical high school stuff). Some of my little darlins' started to tune me out, but I just kept on. I had made several transparancies of a variety of AB approaches and designs, explaining how the artist achieved those specific effects. I then gave them a list of ideas that I got off the list. By this time my guys weren't talking anymore and were listening intently. I brought out 2 huge boxes of books that I got from the library a couple years ago when they were cleaning off shelves. I then turned them loose. They wanted to know if they had to draw in their books, paint, collage, cut holes, etc etc. I just looked at them and said they knew what they couldn't do, the rest was up to them. WOW - they got busy and didn't utter a peep for the rest of class - totally unusual for this rowdy bunch of boys. They told me they felt kind of naughty cutting holes in their books! *L* Several of them took the books with them to work on - again, completely unusual. I am going to love watching these develop! :-)
~Michal

---