wire sculpture for grades 2-3

---------

From: dkj (jouets_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 07:10:30 PST

Hi all,
I'd like to try some figurative wire sculpture with my 2nd and 3rd grades after
watching Calder's Circus and read the book "Roarr! Calder's Circus". We did a
little exercise with drawing (not lifting the marker from the paper) and watercolor,
and next (tomorrow!) I'd like them to try a figure or animal in wire.
I have plastic coated telephone (?) 18 ga., and some finer multi-color coated
wire donated from an electrician. I thought it might be easier to attach the wire
to some kind of base (foamcore? wood?) for them to work with... and would
also like to provide beads, felt, fabric, and yarn.
Anyone have suggestions for how to approach thi? (keeping in mind that
my carpal tunnel is flaring...) Thanks!
Deb

---