weather in Minnesota

---------

From: lia (johns392_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 05:22:07 PST

Prepare for anything this time of year. It has warmed up and all snow is
melted for the most part here right now. Daytime temps can range from
32-70 degrees F. Nightime from 20-50 degrees F. The sun can shine
brightly and it can snow....or rain. If it snows it won't stick around
long...but it does sometimes snow this time of year. It can also be
windy in which case cold is a factor regardless of the temp. Inside
temperatures vary a lot as well....though this isn't intentional. Indoor
heating systems are often still on ...sometimes making it miserably hot
inside. I would suggest a lightweight warm jacket or parka, an indoor
something to layer with (sweater or so) and otherwise regular Spring like
clothes. You can go a lot of places through the skyway downtown and avoid
bad weather...but I usually want to go outside. If you plan on this and
have them.... bring a light pair of gloves and something to pull over your
head incase you need to stay warm....especially if you aren't used to cold
weather. Also bring some kind of comfortable warm walking shoes. If you
have room in your suitcase a small fold-up umbrella is handy as well. You
will see people here walking around without coats in 40 degree
weather. The two big reasons for this are ....it seems kind of warm to
us...and getting rid of all that outer wear is so freeing! The hotel
probably has a pool.....so bring a swim suit for that.

Even though conference is often kind of an art fashion show.....which is
fun..... Minnesotans really dress for weather and comfort. Downtown is
always a bit dressier but for the most part...... you can wear what you
want here. Oh...and bring a camera. The Walker Art Center (within easy
walking distance of hotel) has a wonderful outdoor Sculpture
Garden....great shots and a great get away when over stimulated by the
conference. Their cafe inside is highly prized though I haven't been there
in quite some time. lia