Australian T-shirt ideas?

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 04:17:01 PST

I'm looking for help with more ideas. We have a 4th grade teacher going on a month long trip to Austrailia, leaving in early June. The students would like to work as a group on a t-shirt for her to wear on her trip. They had mentioned 30 hand prints on a shirt, so everyone would have a chance to contribute, but I thought that since a T-shirt that was big enough to accomodate 30 hand prints would most likely be too large for her, and the hand print idea is rather passe anyway, we could figure something else out. Wouldn't it be cool to tie this into a lesson on Aboriginal Austrailian art, and play with some of those Aboriginal Australian art making styles? Maybe a skeletal animal or something, with dots....I don't know....we must be respectful for the culture and enable all 32 students to contribute. Maybe a picture of our town's clock tower done in an Austrailian technique? We have fabric markers, tie dye, and we have acrylics with fabric medium. Any ideas on this would be appreciated. It has to be ready to
wear by the end of May.

Peace, Mark