Re: middle school instructional time

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 05:25:15 PST

At Rosedale Middle School, we are on an 8 period day.
We have 42 min per class except for 5th period (60 min
of instruction) with 3 lunch periods. We have discussed
block schedules but do not plan to change yet. I have
always wanted to try teaching in a much longer time frame.
Much of our staff is opposed to block. They contest that
the attention span of the students is the reason. Our music
teachers also do not want to see students every day for
the full year. If we ever go to block I only hope that we
use a full year in advance to train teachers to teach
differently rather than just the same old way for a longer
stretch. But with only 10 weeks to go till retirement I
should just keep my mouth shut.
                                                Woody in KC

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons