Paper Sculpture Fourth Grade

---------

From: Ellen Silverman (mcguffsilver_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 04:37:02 PST

I did a lesson with fourth grade, in which they design a theme park
paper sculpture. The theme of their park was to acknowledge where they
came from, most of my students in these class are hispanic, which in my
school although they are grouped together by language there are many
different countries and cultures represented. Another part of the park
was to show where they were going to. I tried to get the homeroom
teacher have a written piece to go with this, with varied results, they
have their own curriculum you know. So I had them write three sentences
on back about their park, sort of advertisement type statements, but
also saying why they choose certain colors, shape, etc. I showed them
pictures of theme parks, most of these pictures are night scenes which
showed all the lights on the rides, the students and I were most
impressed by the value contrast. So we decided to go with black paper
base, to show the theme park at night. This was part of a unit about
birds eye view and introducing them to maps. They really enjoyed this
project, each of the following periods I started out by give them more
paper sculpture ideas, that seem to keep their enthusiasm up.

Ellen Silverman

---