Re: non-objective modern artists who worked to music?

---------

From: Holly Kingman (baaaramu_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 05:34:51 PST

How about Stuart Davis?
 Mark Alexander <markcalexander@yahoo.com> wrote:
I recall that this topic has run on this list before, but I was hoping for a reminder. I need a list of non-objective modern artists who used music as their inspiration.

I have: Paul Klee, Piet Mondrian, Sonia and Robert Delaunney, Jackson Pollock.

Can anyone think of other non-objective modern artists who used music as inspiration?

I'm putting together a 5th grade lesson to get the students more comfortable with expressive non-objective modern art. I've done variations of this lesson before, usually with fantastic results. The students learn a variety of concepts and react positively to the experience. They often choose to expand on this lesson on their own in 'Open Art Studio" and the large, colorful pieces are always quite impressive in the 'Spring Art Show.'

I think this time I'll have them create a variety of types and qualities of line by drawing to music with sumi brushes and ink on textured watercolor paper.

When the ink dries they'll practice the concept of color value by gradually varying the density of oil pastel in-between their ink lines.

Later we'll turn it into a complementary color lesson with the use of watercolor in complementary colors....the oil pastel resist effect creating an interesting patina in the finished piece.

I believe that it was one of the fine art teachers on this list who first gave me the idea. Was it Larry Seiler or Ken Schwab?? I can't remember who it was, because I have a small brain, but my imitation is intended as a compliment. Please step forward for recognition and a more proper compliment, thanks!

Mark