Re: Hard edged painters

---------

From: carolyn roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 18:50:44 PST

A North Carolina hard-edged painter was Claude Howell from Wilmington, NC. He lived with Robert Gwathmey for a while when he was young. He was my art professor at UNC in Wilmington when I was an undergraduate student. Many of his paintings were beach scenes, and fishermen.

Here is a web site with one of his paintings. I have a print of this painting...it's beautiful. http://www.cameronartmuseum.com/permanent_collection/claude_howell/beach_cottage.asp

Here's another one...
http://www.cameronartmuseum.com/permanent_collection/claude_howell/seated_fisherman.asp

Here's another one with a definite cubist influence.
http://www.cameronartmuseum.com/permanent_collection/claude_howell/sorting_fish.asp

Here's some of his biography...
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/local/3617971.htm

Check it out...
Carolyn Roberts

  I am going to start a nonobjective design using color schemes and hard edged painting using architectural structures as a start. I wanted to show some hard edged painters such as Frank Stella and I just went blank. So I thought I would ask the group for some assistance.
  Do you know of any hard edged painters and places where I can get some pictures of their art?

  thanks,

  Ken Schwab

  Art teacher, Leigh high school, San Jose, CA
  website: Leigh Art ---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

---