timely project

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 19:37:20 PST

my hs beginning art class is working on landscape paintings inspired by haitian artists: http://www.medalia.net/artistpage/Bresil.html , http://medalia.net/artistpage/Labbe.html , http://www.medalia.net/artistpage/LafontantGM.html .

we researched the history of haiti and discussed the strife that has characterized it. one of my students commented that it was amazing how peaceful and serene the paintings were in light of the things the haitian people have been through. together we decided that we could use this as solace in the days to come, waiting for and now, it seems, coping with our country being at war. in these circumstances "getting lost" in our artworks, if only for a short time, can be especially welcome.

my thoughts are with our countrymen and women sent to iraq to fight, with the citizens of iraq who are not responsible for this conflict, and with their loved ones.

peace,

wendy