duel certifications......

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 16:20:31 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: Patricia Knott <pknott@enter.net>
>....I guess I just
> don't understand these duel certifications. How thin does one spread ??????
> German and art. I'd like to know who fills that one.
> No wonder the system is so screwed up.

The system is certainly screwed up but that doesn't necessarily mean we
dual-certificated teachers are. I still have 4 preps a day and just one of
them is math so that doesn't change anything. Of course my big passion isn't
math but, hey, you can't have EVERYTHING the way you want it. And besides,
when you don't feel you're as well-versed in another subject as art, you try
harder so the passion does spurt every now and then. Guess you could say I
sometimes even get passionate about math. Did I say that? Gosh,
gee-whiz...you think?.

> wondering about how one goes between major disciplines and still maintains
> credibility in either of them.

That was a real eye-opener...how much "respect" and credibility I got when I
started teaching math...both from students AND parents. It was like, "Hey.
Wow. You teach math TOO?!" It was kinda like I've always been the "art
teacher"...the slightly goofy, creative "thing" that crawls into the storage
room and pops out the next morning to teach. Now that I teach math, I must
be intelligent too. Go figure.

>Job security
> does not insure that the student is getting what he /she should.

Only a "good teacher" can insure that the student is getting what he/she
should. Job security has nothing to do with it. You can't teach a subject
unless you're certified to do it.

> But what is lost? Where is the> heart?

Nothing is lost and the heart is really with the teacher after all, isn't
it? If anything, I think there might be a gain or two involved...like
crossing curriculum, new perspectives, etc. I'd rather be teaching all art
but it's not going to happen right now and I'll play the cards the way
they're dealt. Most always the optimist (until it gets closer to
springtime...gurrrrrrr)....Bunki

---