multiple disciplines

---------

From: Kurt Hasselman (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 09:55:40 PST

I'd like to respond to Patty's query to those of us that have dual
certification and what may or may not get lost. My passion is in many
areas, Art, music, literature. In fact I got my masters degree in the
humanities. Therefore having a certificate in English is not
a 'stretch' for me. I see the connections between all forms of
expression, and teach my classes with the attitude that artists do NOT
work in a void. I would like to think that my teaching has been
strengthened on many levels, and that my students have benefitted from
my abilities to see many things differently. For example did you know
that Edith Wharton was very involved with interior decorating, and
that her novels reflect not only her knowledge of art, but she uses
the convention of foreground, midground and background in fleshing out
her work? And that is only the tip of the iceberg of the myriad of
connections that can be made. I could go on, but suffice it to say
that I do not think of myself as any less of an art teacher because I
share and teach my passions in other areas. Nor do I think of myself
any less an artist.

San D

---