Structured class

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 03:50:50 PST

"ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu> writes:
>http://intranet.cps.k12.il.us/Lessons/StructuredCurriculumTOC/SCArt/scart.html
Christine,

Thanks for sharing your curriculum. I do have a question, do
you find yourself talking about elements and principals together
as you work through both semesters. I usually try to take
the first six weeks of the year and provide general information
on the elements and principals, then we move on doing drawing,
painting, etc using each of these as we can. I sometimes feel
that more focus on each would be better.

I would like to know how others approach this. I have to be
honest with everyone, we have a concern with failures. Around
35 -45 % of students. Now, these students are those that fall
into these categories.

1. Absent all the time
2. In school suspension most of the time, then return to class
not knowing exactly what is going on even though you go to the
SAC room for instructions, they dont do work there either.
3. Come to class but dont do anything at all.
4. Want to give below minimum expectations (unfinished work)
5. Combination of above.

Coming from middles school many of these students have just
crafts for background. I have one middle school art teacher who
does not even have a sink in room. When students get to high
school, they have more structure curriculum, including use of
sketchbook/journals. This is our big breakdown.

Jackie Brewer (Aust)
Director of Visual Art (K-12)
Bryan Texas
austart@bryanisd.org