Re: Creative ways to present art history

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 16:34:01 PST

Love this topic! hope my response makes sense.

I typically teach art history in every lesson, but at
my current school found myself in a position of having
to teach an a unit geared directly at
introducing/imitating the art periods, SO....

For Modern movements...

Day 1 - Students visually sorted postcard images of
each of 6 time periods. Child Sized masterpieces has
good sets of images if you don't already have a
collection.http://www.parentchildpress.com/art.html
(It's steps 6 and 7, but they aren't online)

Day 2 - I had the students break into groups and do
online research in the LMC. (I have the gathering
info sheet they used at school - let me know if you're
intested in it)

Day 3- Students worked together to created a poster
for their art movement - that would be used by them to
introduce the movement to the rest of the class. They
had additional text resources available for continuing
the project.

Days 4 and 5 - Students worked on ways to present the
info in the spirit of Gardner's MI theory; meaning
they could use anything they wanted to present the
info. Rap, Newspaper edition, Newscast, Act out a
image. (I think most teachers would be uncomfortable
with this much leeway. I also plan to have a booklet
available to tell them specifically how to go about
each option, with job roles.)

Week 2 - They made a 5 -10 minute presentation and
then I followed up with a project that was made in
that style.

---------------

When I introduced the BC art periods, I found that
most of them had a pretty good feel for the work (we
have an awesome History/Social studies dept
apparently!) So, I broke them up into groups, they did
some reading and then we had a "slide jam"

Students sat in their groups (so they could
communicate with each other) and I showed a work of
art

If they claimed art period's slide, they got a point.
(I also asked why it belonged or didn't belong)

If they missed one that belonged to them, they lost a
point.

Another group could also get a point for recognizing
the period it actually belonged to.

They also lost a point (or maybe two) for guessing the
wrong one.

A student kept a tally of points for me.

They seem to like anything that's competitive in 6th
grade. They really had fun and wanted to play this
one again.