Mississippian MoundBuilders - great site

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 15:26:53 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I found the following site recommended in the Sunday commics.
http://www.mississippian-artifacts.com/
Mississippian Artifacts - The Mississippian, Quapaw and Caddo mound
builders produced the finest pottery of prehistoric North America. The
Mississippians produced pottery of great durability and high artistic merit.
Read about other Mississippian artifacts. Students may like to learn about
the game played with discoidals.

It is linked from:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/effigy.htm#Mound
so you do not need to bookmark it.

I can see these vessels being great motivation for coil pots and pots made
by fusing two pinch pots together. I used slide of Mound builder ceramics
for my high school ceramics classes.

Please post great pottery/ceramics sites you come across -- or send to me
off list (mailto:Jdecker@woh.rr.com).
I hope to de a ceramics feature sometime on IAD as well.

Judy Decker

---