Re: Music in the Artroom

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 09:55:04 PST

I guess I will reply to this one to the whole list,

My lessons always included music from the time period or culture. For
example: I had several different CD's of rain forest music/sounds for my Art
of Haiti (jungle drawings) - plus had some Haitian music. For Renaissance -
I went to the local library and borrowed all of the CD's/tapes they had and
made recordings to use. Did the same for all of my Native American and
African units. I had cultural music to go with every lesson (some my own
collection and some belonging to the school). I went to all of the record
stores and bought what they had and then have purchased several from Crizmac
and Putumayo. I have loaned these CD's out to other list members and will
eventually write up a list of what I have to loan them out again. I have
always looked for links online to use with my Internet lessons - most of my
cultural resources include sites where the students can listen to music.

Here is the web site for Crizmac:
http://www.crizmac.com/

Here is the web site for Putumayo:
http://www.putumayo.com/

When I did individual artists - I played music from their time period - or
music they may have listened to. For instance, I had jazz for Romare Bearden
and Stuart Davis

I tried to bring as much music appreciation into my lessons as possible (Our
curriculum was supposed to be Comprehensive - introduced dance and drama
when I could)

Judy

---