Re: getting pinked

---------

From: Aaron Hopkins (hopkiaar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 09:19:02 PST

Yeah...i agree. Today's art classes are much better than making
caterpillars from egg cartons, but we've still got miles to go.
Advocacy is making our programs great. It's setting the children up to
succeed and learn. It's getting the kids' work up and out for all to
see. Then, when the local or state districts begin to "cut" funding for
the arts, the PARENTS will step in and say "No way, my kids receive much
from art and we don't want that to stop."
That's where the real voice is.

>>> pknott@enter.net 03/15/03 03:07PM >>>
I started writing a long note last night about Kathy's pink slip
notice....
and then fell asleep before sending it off.

I'm extremely concerned about the cuts. It shows a definite lack of
foresightedness and need. The current quest for test scores to meet
the
demands of federal initiatives is forgetting that the No Child is also
whole child.
If the teachers of the arts are constantly being eliminated, we will
never
get beyond advocacy for our programs. I am currently doing a research
project on assessment in the arts. I am finding tons of stuff on what
we
profess to do and why art is important, but little evidence to show
that
what we say we do actually happens.

The article that Bunki outlined about medical students increasing
observational skills through looking at art is what I'm talking about.
This
article says to me what I think we are not addressing in art ed.
I think after all the years of DBAE and Standards we still concentrate
too
much on skills and technique and not the content, contexts, and
relevancy of
an informed observation.

I don't know.
I'm not sure we can ever make art so "legitimate" that is survives
budget
cuts. I'm not sure we can ever make it so valued. The history of
advocacy
is getting old. I read the same things over and over again. Just how
do we
show the evidence ?
I would like to advocate that we stop trying to prove ourselves and
actually
prove ourselves. We need some serious study and data that shows we
are
achieving the Standards.

I think we have to look at the many ways that observational skills can
be
achieved and what those skills lead to as far as a connection to other
ares.
I think we have to look at the many ways to "experience " art and not
just
the skills/technique ways that dominate our plans. Are we willing to
give
up visual literacy to other disciplines?

I can't say how much I feel for long term teachers that are facing
cuts. It
is heartbreaking ..... and .... none of us should feel "safe' in
our
positions. The money is going to the test results that produce more
money
and there ain't none of that in art.

I'm so sorry Kathy, that you have to face this. I've experienced the
feeling and it's more than depressing. No matter the reasons, you
always
feel personally inadequate. But Bunki's comments confirm that you are
great one and hopefully your opportunities will come.

One last word.
We are a community, we art teachers. We know what we do is good and
worthwhile. It's very difficult to maintain a positive attitude when
we
always live under the shadow that we will be the first to go.... We
work so
hard with displays and shows and competitions and portfolios.... we
make
them "feel good" and we make their parents and community feel good...
we
knock ourselves out always trying to come up with new approaches to
the
"lesson" ... we accommodate more than any other discipline I know.....
 and
yet we are the frill that is easily cut

something is not working So how do we fix it?

Patty
perplexed and avoiding the "have-tos"

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu