Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: getting pinked

From: Aaron Hopkins (hopkiaar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 09:19:02 PST

Yeah...i agree. Today's art classes are much better than making
caterpillars from egg cartons, but we've still got miles to go.
Advocacy is making our programs great. It's setting the children up to
succeed and learn. It's getting the kids' work up and out for all to
see. Then, when the local or state districts begin to "cut" funding for
the arts, the PARENTS will step in and say "No way, my kids receive much
from art and we don't want that to stop."
That's where the real voice is.

>>> 03/15/03 03:07PM >>>
I started writing a long note last night about Kathy's pink slip
and then fell asleep before sending it off.

I'm extremely concerned about the cuts. It shows a definite lack of
foresightedness and need. The current quest for test scores to meet
demands of federal initiatives is forgetting that the No Child is also
whole child.
If the teachers of the arts are constantly being eliminated, we will
get beyond advocacy for our programs. I am currently doing a research
project on assessment in the arts. I am finding tons of stuff on what
profess to do and why art is important, but little evidence to show
what we say we do actually happens.

The article that Bunki outlined about medical students increasing
observational skills through looking at art is what I'm talking about.
article says to me what I think we are not addressing in art ed.
I think after all the years of DBAE and Standards we still concentrate
much on skills and technique and not the content, contexts, and
relevancy of
an informed observation.

I don't know.
I'm not sure we can ever make art so "legitimate" that is survives
cuts. I'm not sure we can ever make it so valued. The history of
is getting old. I read the same things over and over again. Just how
do we
show the evidence ?
I would like to advocate that we stop trying to prove ourselves and
prove ourselves. We need some serious study and data that shows we
achieving the Standards.

I think we have to look at the many ways that observational skills can
achieved and what those skills lead to as far as a connection to other
I think we have to look at the many ways to "experience " art and not
the skills/technique ways that dominate our plans. Are we willing to
up visual literacy to other disciplines?

I can't say how much I feel for long term teachers that are facing
cuts. It
is heartbreaking ..... and .... none of us should feel "safe' in
positions. The money is going to the test results that produce more
and there ain't none of that in art.

I'm so sorry Kathy, that you have to face this. I've experienced the
feeling and it's more than depressing. No matter the reasons, you
feel personally inadequate. But Bunki's comments confirm that you are
great one and hopefully your opportunities will come.

One last word.
We are a community, we art teachers. We know what we do is good and
worthwhile. It's very difficult to maintain a positive attitude when
always live under the shadow that we will be the first to go.... We
work so
hard with displays and shows and competitions and portfolios.... we
them "feel good" and we make their parents and community feel good...
knock ourselves out always trying to come up with new approaches to
"lesson" ... we accommodate more than any other discipline I know.....
yet we are the frill that is easily cut

something is not working So how do we fix it?

perplexed and avoiding the "have-tos"