RE: a plea for auction ideas, please

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 09:59:31 PST

I am pasting an e-mail sent at the beginning stages of our planning - some
other items were a large patio umbrella painted by the kids (wink, wink -
read parent ) - mirror frame with copper border (the kids stamp with
Vaseline and then they treat the copper for patina - ) - painted lockers -

Some items need start up - others cost nothing - and some cost very little
- these are the class projects I worked on with parents -

the 4th grade log cabin 'quilt' cost nothing - we had a framers supply
donated frame scraps - I had the paint and a plywood backing - it brought in
$375... I look at a lot of magazines for do-able things, cost effective and
items a whole class can work on - either pieces at the same time - or over a
period of time during class.... all of these projects were related to
something we were studying in class - the 7th grade foil relief tables were
practice squares (4") that I backed with mat board squares and glued to
black tables I found at Target - read magazines, really look at art fairs,
and watch 'trading spaces' and 'while you were out' - lots of ideas -

One year I would love the Parson's table challenge - IKEA has a simple table
for $19.95 - there was an article one year about the different things you
could do to the table - I think it would be a fun challenge - kind of like
the cows, pigs and so forth....

I included the going prices I knew - the money doesn't come to me - it is
for the PTA... but indirectly it comes back -

If you are working with older kids - look at ready-made magazine - I just
ordered the back issues available - there is an article in one about making
lamps - out of neat stuff - Styrofoam cups - super-size Mickey D drink cups
- Tupperware, and so on - if I have time I will forward the listed sites -
lamps can be made out of almost anything - what great fund-raiser - "Art
lights up your life!!!"

I am supposed to be working on another job - the weather is finally nice -
gotta go - hope this gets some things started -
Ellen

> K-1 Baltzley -
> hand made clay tiles (leaf impressions/silhouettes) on an old aquarium
stand - $500 -

> K-1 Kingsbury - paper collage. An assortment of textured papers, painted
> papers, and torn papers to create an African landscape. Large canvas -
$500

> 2/3 Hall
> Flour resist (like batik) cloth table runner and place mats (6) - Monet
> inspired washes and beaded embellishments -
>
> 2/3 Sears - they are painting a stool -
>
> 4th Brown - wood assemblage. A relief sculpture of wood scraps
> inspired by the "Log Cabin" quilt pattern . $375
>
> All 5th grade work was inspired by the work of Robert Delaunay -
> a study of color theory -
> Johnson - a nightstand
> Westerfield - a table
> Bahr - stool/storage cube topped with a cushion.
>
> 7th grade - aluminum relief table top -

---