Re: a plea for auction ideas, please

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 05:10:30 PST

In a message dated 3/15/2003 2:08:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us writes:

> I like the idea of painted mirror frames which would be easy to set up with a frame per table and have several classes work on them. The painted chairs are a good possibility too. My questions to those of you who have attempted this...what was your process? Sanding? Gesso or primer first? What kind? Kind of paint used? Sealer? Michal...I love your pictures of this. Where would you find unfinished frames cheap enough to
> work on? I know...thrift stores...but where ELSE?

Hi, Bunki!
How about garage sales? I would also send a letter home and to the staff asking for donations of old frames. Ya never know what people have in their attics and basements.

Within your auction "framework", maybe you could do different kinds of painting, using themes for guidelines when the kids ask, "What do I paint?" These "fabulous frames" could include: fantasy frames, (based on imagination) fable frames(children's stories or fables), funky frames, (frames with "stuff" glued on-you know, buttons, shapes, etc.), friendship frames,(frames that could be easily personalized after the auction, such as "Sue and Lou, Best Friends Forever"),Fisticated (as in sophisticated), o.k., so I'm stretching it with the "F" thing, frames that are painted in metallics, or rubbed with metallics for that "old world" look.

I would sand the frames lightly and use a wood primer, then acrylic paint. Golden Acrylics has a huge variety and would be perfect! Look over their written materials. You can talk to them at the conference. Good luck, sounds exciting!
Susie-Q on Long Island

---