Re: portraits of famous people in history (grade five)

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 04:36:58 PST

In a message dated 3/15/2003 10:29:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, skygeoff@comcast.net writes:

> I've been asked by the fifth grade teachers at my school to help their students copy portraits of famous historical figures. I don't think I can inject much creativity into this.
> Do you have any suggestions?
Hi, Sky!
I did a lesson based on famous people portraits and also tried to think about how I could make this meaningful. The learning experience was a success and the results were very bold and striking. First, I photocopied the photos in black and white, enlarging each to fit the whole 8 1/2"x 11" paper. Then, I cut the photo into 4 or 6 rectangles (I don't remember), numbering them in sequence on the back. Next, each student got a piece of the "puzzle" and large paper and had to draw it using the grid method to enlarge their piece.

I stressed that they concentrate on the shapes within their piece and the size relationships when they drew. Then, I had the kids look at different tones of the black and white photo, and using a value scale, they numbered the shapes in shades from black to white,1-4. After we discussed value, they mixed up tempera paint and painted accordingly.

 They knew they were doing famous faces, but didn't know who until it was all finished and they were able to put the pieces together. I gave a prize to the group who were first to figure out which person's face they were enlarging, and they had to give a brief report to the class as to why this person was famous.

When the pieces were put together the pictures were huge black, grey, and white faces that were striking resemblences to the photos. Surprisingly, it didn't take that long to do. I mounted them on bright red.

Sorry for the long step by step explaination- LOL.. you know me...Oh, well, anyone not interested has deleted this already. Hope this is an idea you can use, Sky. It was the only one I could think of that produced a pic without tracing that really looked like the person, was a "big" deal, and had some "value".
Susan on Long Island

---