Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Textiles Resources Online - more Batik added

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 20:49:09 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Jane from Brooklyn needed batik I re-did my textiles page to
add more.
I am not that interested in learning more how to make batik - but it looks
like this is a good site: - she has lots of links to more

I also added more quilt resources and lesson plans links. Shari sent me this
Rather than go thru the page link by link - I just listed it under history -
world cultures - and techniques. Those of you who are interested can
investigate the links more thoroughly.

My interest in textiles sprang from a request by a former administrator
(years ago) for the exploratory teachers to do more things
interdisciplinary.... I already was doing lessons interdisciplinary with the I just added cultural textiles with 7th grade since they learned
how to do paper weavings in Family and Consumer Science (Home Ec). Even
though that administrator was only there a year, I spent a bunch of money on
color photocopies (that was all pre-Internet) so I continued the textile
emphasis. Most of the cultural links for this textiles page were found by my
students when we did out Cultural Threads project-- borrowing Bunki's hands
and ribbons lesson. I will get that lesson updated next so you can see what
I mean.

Enjoy textile artists!

P.S. for Jane -- Check under History for Batik refences and under Lesson